A US motorist with a fear of spiders set light to a petrol pump while trying to burn one of the arachnids alive. The driver had pulled into the petrol station in Michigan State and had got out of his car to fill up when he spotted the arachnid.
Video footage from CCTV cameras at the gas station in the town of Center Line showed that the man spotted the arachnid and then tried to burn it with a small cigarette lighter. Fast forwarding the video shows that flames quickly engulfed the petrol pump and the rear of the man’s car looked as though it was on fire.
Susan Adams was on duty at the Mobil station when she saw the fire start. She told local reporters that the man was not smoking and the only thing he seemed to be holding was the lighter.
Ms Adams continued by saying that she pressed the emergency stop button for the petrol supply and then called the Center Line fire brigade. The fire totally destroyed the petrol pump, but the man’s car suffered little damage and nobody was injured in what could have been a serious incident.
The unnamed driver told firefighters who attended the scene he was really afraid of spiders and the only thing he could think of doing was burning it. The arachnophobia did not seem to be too much of a problem as he was spotted putting petrol in his car at the same garage on the following day.