Emergency services were called to a holiday park near Great Yarmouth yesterday to deal with swimmers with difficulties in breathing. A spokesperson for the East of England Ambulance Service said crews attended to about 40 people at the Wild Duck Holiday Park at around 14:30 yesterday afternoon.
She continued by saying that the people had all been swimming in the indoor pool and had been overcome by the fumes of what was believed to have been a chlorine leak. Haven Holidays operates the Wild Duck and representative Tom Cassidy later said that 33 swimmers had subsequently been taken to Gorleston, Norwich and Ipswich hospitals by paramedics.
Mr Cassidy confirmed the cause of the incident was a seepage of chemicals into the indoor pool. He noted the pool had been evacuated immediately. He finished off by saying that many of the people taken to hospitals was a safety precaution only and he believed nobody had been seriously harmed.
An unnamed worker at the Wild Duck told on-the-scene reporters that the whole park was evacuated when the alarm was first sounded. He added that when management realised the chemical leakage was confined to the entertainment complex, guests were allowed to return to their caravans.
The ambulance service brought an environmental hazard protection vehicle with them. The vehicle’s crew dealt with the chemicals and declared the pool was safe to use again at 17:30. The Wild Duck Holiday Park is located in Belton and is equidistant between Great Yarmouth and the pastoral waterways of the Norfolk Broads.