Travel News|

Travel Companies Pull Advertisements from News of the World

News of the World Phone Hacking ScandalBecause of the phone hacking scandal that has overwhelmed tabloid News of the World, some of its biggest clients have been prompted to pull all of their advertising from the paper. This includes travel companies, with The Co-operative Group and Virgin Holidays being reported to be included in this widespread move. The firms are said to claim that they don’t want anything negative to be associated with them due to the tabloid’s scandal.

Both Co-operative Group and Virgin advertise heavily with News of the World on a range of cheap hotels, car hire, travel insurance and package holidays. However, this is now over as the newspaper faces accusations of misconduct related to the phone hacking of war victims, murder victims and terrorist victims, as well as their families.

The Co-operative Group said in a statement that they are a consumer-owned business that abides by strong ethical standards. A vast majority of their members have contacted them to expression their revulsion of the scandal. They urge everyone involved to quickly conclude this matter for the sake of those affected by the events.

A similar statement of shock was given by Virgin Holidays when it announced that it will pull its advertisements from the tabloid. Other travel companies have said they are considering their own position, including easyJet and TUI Travel. Butlins says that it doesn’t have any adverts booked for the newspaper this week, and they won’t have any for the foreseeable future.

Businesses throughout the travel sector aren’t the only ones making this move. Companies across a range of markets are pulling their ads, including O2, Boots, the Royal British Legion, Npower, Ford, Halifax, Vauxhall, Aldi, Debenhams, Cadbury and Renault.

Despite all the firms that are pulling out, there are some that have stayed…so far. In fact, the News of the World‘s top 10 biggest advertisers haven’t said anything about halting their adverts. This includes Asda, Tesco, Proctor & Gamble and Sky, which is part of the News International group of companies that operates the tabloid. However, they have definitely been watching the matter closely.

Meanwhile, it has also been reported that News of the World, which is owned by News Corporation, will put out its final issue on Sunday. This announcement came on Thursday, with the tabloid, which is the bestselling Sunday paper in Britain, blaming the phone hacking allegations. This comes not only after the public and business backlash, but also after a backlash from politicians.

New Corporation senior executive James Murdoch, the son of chairman and chief executive Rupert Murdoch, said that the company accepts responsibility for the misery inflicted from the phone hacking accusations and for journalistic ethics being broken. The tabloid holds others accountable, he added, but it failed to do the same for itself.

Comments

comments

  • Share this post:
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Delicious
  • Digg
In the Press
  • The Sunday Post Martin Lewis of moneysavingexpert.com: Early booking using comparison sites including Carrentals.co.uk can slash up to 70%
  • The Daily Mail For the best deals, use price comparison websites such as Carrentals.co.uk.
  • The Daily Telegraph Check out car hire comparison sites such as Carrentals.co.uk to see the prices on offer at dozens of car hire companies.
*
*
*
carrentals.co.uk

Cookies on Carrentals.co.uk

Copyright 2003 ASAP Ventures Ltd

All rights reserved

Registered in England and Wales

Company number 4278063

Registered office address

1 The Square, Lightwater, Surrey, GU18 5SS